Overcoming Patient Communication Barriers
Problem: Effective Communication
- Be sensitive to health literacy and provide materials at appropriate reading levels.
- Be sensitive to racial, ethnic and religious practices and beliefs that may affect receptivity to vaccines.
- Offer language-appropriate educational materials and Vaccine Information Statements in multiple languages.
- Use suggested vaccination messages offered in this toolkit.
- Provide translation services as patients' needs dictate.
- Use printed materials that depict the population your practice serves.
- Encourage staff vaccination and when talking to patients, use it as support for the importance of vaccination. Patients will be reluctant to take vaccines that the staff refuses.